If you own an e-commerce business or your business normally manages multilingual content with texts that are accompanied by infographics, charts or other graphic elements, this article is for you. We’ll explain what the DTP service is, how to integrate it in professional translation and how it can improve your brand.
What is DTP?
DTP, or desktop publishing is the group of computer processes that are carried out so the translated file keeps the same layout and characteristics as the original version. Those in charge of the graphic adaptation alongside those responsible for the professional translation take care of the document’s editing adjustment and adaptation, layout and graphics.
What is a DTP service and how is it connected with professional translation?
The arrangement of a document is an important element if you want quality professional translation. As with texts, the visual component can also be adapted to target languages.
There are several aspects in which a desktop publishing service is essential in order to maintain the brand’s image and identity.
The target language and culture may differ significantly from those of the original file. These are some of the features that require the work of experts in website layout and editing resources:
- Different typographic rules: special care must be taken when dealing with margins, line breaks, fonts or justification.
- Script direction changes: in western countries we read from left to right, but the Japanese and Arabs read from right to left, which requires changing the order of graphics and images.
- Characters that require more vertical space: such as the Chinese, Japanese or Arabic alphabet.
- Romance languages usually require more space than English.
- Low resolution graphic elements which include texts or the lack of original files to work with other space guidelines.
- Symbols, images or colors that must be changed because they are inappropriate in the target culture.
The translation and arrangement of the text must work on localization, perfectly adapting to the target culture. But of course, always following the pattern of the original files in order to maintain the brand’s consistency.
Advantages of a comprehensive translation service
Joint efforts of the translation and localization teams with the experts in page layout and graphic retouches achieves a perfect balance between design and content. The following are the advantages of counting on a DTP service for a professional translation:
- Higher quality of the end product: adapting and localizing texts and visual components helps maintain consistency throughout the entire document.
- Hiring the service of a translation agency: guarantees the availability of the most advanced software and tools.
- The work is carried out by professionals who command the source and target languages.
- Costs and execution times are reduced when the project is requested together, thus making processes leaner.
- Brand image is maintained and reinforced, providing quality in all markets in which it is present. The end user is aware of the company’s care and effort to guarantee a positive user experience.
- It’s a perfect resource for e-commerce businesses, since it guarantees excellent design and content for your products.
If you would like to learn more about professional translation with desktop publishing service contact us. Linguaserve offers a comprehensive layout and localization service based on any type of file.