Translating a business in WooCommerce is of interest to you if you have a WordPress site and you are thinking of setting up a multilingual e-commerce business, since it is an e-commerce platform built on WordPress and has a plugin that you can easily incorporate into your site in this CMS. But this may also be of interest to you if you already have an online store on this platform and want to internationalize it and open the borders of your business.
The answer is easy: always. If you have an e-commerce business, your market reach is infinite. But in order for people to buy from you, they must find you first. And second, but not less important, they must understand you.
In any case, here are the main reasons to translate an online store:
- Don't put limits your reach. Or, in other words, don't clip your wings. During the second quarter of 2021, online shopping grew by almost 14% in Spain and revenue rose by 14.5 % year-on-year to reach €4.3 billion.
- Use the customer's language. Language is essential in online shopping. According to the Can't Read, Won't Buy study , 65% of customers prefer to shop in their own language.
- Let them find you. Don't hide on the second page of search engines (or beyond). Translating an e-commerce website improves your web positioning.
What should I take into account when translating an e-commerce site?
If you have a good product and you have also invested in the design and content of your website, don't let all this effort not pay off when translating it. These are the main points to consider when translating an e-commerce site:
- All product sheets must be translated in full: title, description, ingredients, format or size, availability, price, conditions and warranties. Not forgetting the meta elements and URLs.
- Purchase process. You must accompany the user through the purchase process from start to finish and this includes the cart, promotional codes, subtotals and totals in local currency, order summary, ways and conditions of shipping and the invoice.
- Digital advertising pieces. Images, banners, product videos, brand logos must be translated and localized so that they reach each user perfectly integrated into their language and culture.
- The brand. Potential customers want to know who they are buying from and know the company's values and image.
Translating an e-commerce business in WooCommerce
WooCommerce is the world's most popular open source e-commerce solution that is quite simple to install and use. When translating an e-commerce site, you have two options:
- Download a translated version of the plugin from WordPress.org. Translations are done by volunteers, not professional translators, and the file for the language you are interested in may not exist.
- Install free or paid translation plugins and customize all content. The former are more limited in their features. The most complete and used, although at a cost, is WPML.
Benefits of counting on a translation agency to translate an e-commerce site
If you want to monetize the translation of your online store, it is not enough to install a paid plugin.
Counting on a professional translation agency that translates WooCommerce sites will bring you these benefits:
- Localized content. Native translators adapt the content to the language and culture of the different markets, avoiding ridiculous or offensive errors, both in the texts and in the visual elements, colors or images.
- Updated catalog. If you frequently update your products, it is in your best interest to have technological translation and layout services for new content, in order to introduce it within the agreed deadline.
- Optimized SEO. If you want to be found, you must please the search engines and, to do so, using the right keywords is vital. You cannot translate the keywords you use literally in the original language, but you must carry out a study of the most relevant ones in the target markets.
Translating an e-commerce site in WooCommerce can be quite costly in time and resources if you really want to do it right. We recommend you to leave it in the hands of professionals who will provide the multilingual solutions needed to ensure the quality and effectiveness of the content that your products deserve.