There are many retail companies that take the leap and go international by expanding in other markets to increase financial gain. It is the natural process of any company that has good profit and wants to grow. We are referring to department stores, supermarkets, fashion stores, restaurants... All of them have something in common: they all need a professional translation service
It is quite common, however, to find brands in this sector that choose to get by without it or save the cost of investing in this type of services. At this stage, the digital world is beneficial, since nowadays it allows finding free machine translation tools that could be a quick fix.
Besides the fact that they could seem like a good solution in the short term, these could mean bigger risks when translating important projects such as those related to a business.
What are professional translation services useful for in retail?
The nature of retail brands’ activity make them produce a large amount of material that must be translated practically all the time. We aren’t only referring to the translation of a product’s specification sheet. We must also take into account digital advertising, posters and a large amount of corporate material we will show you next:
- Product: the commercialized product has a series of elements in the label, instructions for use, ingredients or components it is made up of All of them need to be translated from one language to another.
- E-commerce and product descriptions: product specification sheets in e-commerce businesses where they are commercialized or the company websites where they are sold are one of the most sensitive areas. This is exactly where big mistakes have been made and that could considerably harm your brand’s image and make you lose potential clients at your online and physical stores.
- Catalogs and brochures: mainly at points of sale and even mailing campaigns or similar. They are one of the biggest strategies to get visits, for example, at supermarkets. Once again, making mistakes in this matter could mean losing potential clients.
- Advertising: advertising campaigns, whether online or offline, to offer discounts, show the advantages of the brand, launch products etc. is one of the best ways to attract clients in the retail sector. Imagine investing money on marketing and advertising campaigns in which there are translation mistakes. Don’t you think your company would make the wrong impression?
Advantages of a professional translation in retail
What conclusions can we draw from the above regarding the advantages a professional translation service can offer the retail sector? Here are some of the most important ones:
- Counting on professionals who are specialized in retail, which will guarantee better localization of the content.
- Unlike what machine translation can offer, website localization and translation allow adapting the used language to the target culture of the market you expand in.
- Better quality: the aforementioned affects the resulting better quality. A free machine translation tool does not have the necessary competency for the specialized translation of your business. An expert translator, however, could surely provide it.
- Saving time: decentralizing the translation of all the materials we mentioned in the previous section, also means the company's professionals will save time, meaning they can spend that time and effort for other important aspects of the business.
- Flexibility and workload: hiring a professional translation service will allow you to manage heavy workloads and count on a team of professionals under your supervision. Assignment flexibility is also a very valuable feature.
Nowadays, retailers have a great advantage they didn’t use to have. The thing is, in a globalized economy in which companies face more competitive environments, the digital scope demands more drive from these brands to keep up with their competitiveness.
However, it also offers a wider range of technological translation solutions that will help face the constant change in consumer habits, this being the main objective of these brands and which they have to consider in each of their brand communications.